CSM is the largest grouping of civil society organizations (CSOs) seeking to influence agriculture, food security and nutrition policies and actions, nationally, regionally and globally. CSM was founded after the 2010 reform of the CFS, and facilitates CSO/NGO consultation and participation in the CFS.
APN has held the West Asia seat in the Coordination Committee of the CSM between the years 2010- 2019. APN was also a member of the CFS Advisory Group which meets regularly with member states during the years 2013-2015 and 2017-2019.
APN is the coordinator for the Global Working Group on Protracted Crises and was successful in pushing the CFS to endorse the Framework for Action on Food Security and Nutrition in Protracted Crises (CFS-FFA) after three years of negotiations. APN was nominated for the CFS Steering Committee and Technical Task Team that helped draft the FFA and was recently selected to join the task team monitoring its implementation.
APN has also participated in negotiations over the Global Strategic Framework for Food Security and Nutrition, The Voluntary Guidelines on the Tenure of Land, Fisheries and Forests, the Principles for Responsible Agricultural Investment and the CFS Policy Recommendations on Water for Food Security and Nutrition.
APN has also contributed to the implementation and monitoring of CFS decisions. In 2018, APN collaborated with UN ESCCWA to organize a multi-stakeholder regional conference in Beirut, and a national multi-stakeholder workshop in Amman to discuss the implementation of the CFS-FFA at the regional and national level. APN was also invited to by CFS to speak at numerous meetings including the 2017 “Bringing Home the Results from Rome Event”, the 2016 side event on Contributing to the Monitoring Mechanism of the CFS in Rome, and the 2016 Reach-out Event in Kenya. APN also organized a prominent side event in 2015 to discuss ways to advance CFS-FFA following its endorsement.
- In 2018, APN took part in a CFS panel discussion on the protection of human rights activists and provided a case study on Palestine.
- APN succeeded in pushing CFS to prepare an urgent statement in 2018 to raise awareness on the crisis in Yemen.
- In 2017, APN gave the Global Civil Society speech at the opening of the 44th Session of the CFS on Famines and Food Crises (click for video), and was one of the main speakers at a side event on “Women’s Roles and Rights in Situations of Food Crises, Famines and Conflict.”
- APN pushed for a permanent seat in the CSM for communities living in conflict or under occupation. The decision was endorsed in 2017.
- In 2015, APN addressed the CFS 42nd plenary during a special event on “Resilience Building for Sustainable Food Security and Nutrition.”
- In 2012, APN co-authored the paper “Food Security Challenges and Innovation: The Case of Gaza,” presented at the CFS High Level Political Forum on Protracted Crises, in Rome.