The FAO is an intergovernmental organization established in 1945. Headquartered in Rome, the FAO has 194 Member Nations and is present in over 130 countries. Its main aims are to eliminate hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition. APN organized several FAO regional CSO meetings and consultations.
During a brief meeting as part of his visit to Amman on 8 November 2022, Zuayter called on the FAO Director-General, Mr. Qu Dongyu, for greater attention to the Arab region. (More)
ANFS Founder and APN Chairperson, Razan Zuayter, met with FAO Assistant Director-General and Regional Representative for the Near East and North Africa, Abdul Hakim Al Waer, on 13 October 2022. (More)
APN Chairperson, Razan Zuayter, delivered a statement on behalf of civil society organizations on the first day of FAO's ministerial meeting held in Baghdad on 7 February 2022. (More)
On 30 - 31 January 2022, APN mobilized speakers across the Arab region to gather recommendations before the 36th Session of the FAO Regional Conference for the Near East. (More)
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) delegated The Arab Group for the Protection of Nature (APN) to coordinate and organize a Consultative CSO Meeting, prior to holding the upcoming ministerial meeting (NERC 36), in which three candidates from Arab Maghreb, North Africa, and West Asia will participate. This delegation was brought up during the meeting between APN and FAO that took place in December 2021. (More)
APN participated in the Arab Regional Food Systems Dialogue, an event organized by the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA) in cooperation with the regional offices of FAO, WFP, WHO, the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), and the Arab Organization for Agricultural Development (AOAD) (29 March 2021). (More)
- APN made critical interventions in the preparatory meeting of the FAO Regional Conference, in the presence of the Assistant Director-General of the FAO and Regional Representative for the Near East and North Africa, AbdulHakim Elwaer. This is to exchange ideas and consult on the priorities of the agenda of the Regional Conferences of the FAO (July 2021). (More)
- ANFS and APN meet organizers of Action Track 5 of Food Systems Summit (FSS) to demand that the needs of people affected by wars and conflicts be included on its agenda). (More)
- APN participates in FAO meeting on local agricultural production. (More)
- ANFS and APN present 14 recommendations at ministerial meeting of FAO regional conference. (More)
APN and FAO meet in Cairo to discuss the promotion of the “Arab Tree Path” in cooperation with the Arab League Sub-Committee for the Eradication of Hunger. (More)
- APN participated in the Food and Agriculture Organization’s 34th Regional Conference for the Near East, in Rome. The conference was attended by 11 ministers and 144 participants from 26 member states.
- In 2018, APN organized a national multi-stakeholder workshop with FAO to address the effects of protracted crises on Jordanian food security in Amman, Jordan. The conference introduced the Framework for Action for Food Security and Nutrition in Protracted Crises (FFA), as a comprehensive approach connecting humanitarian assistance, long-term development interventions, and the confrontation of root drivers of food insecurity in crises.
- In 2015, APN organized civil society participation at The Fourth Regional Multi-Stakeholder Workshop on Food Security and Nutrition, launched by the FAO Near East and North Africa Regional Office and spoke on behalf of CSO in the session on Protracted Crises .
- APN was invited to give a presentation on behalf of Arab civil society at the Regional Multi-stakeholder Workshop on Food Security and Nutrition organized by FAO in Tunisia from 4-7 November 2013.
- In May 2013, APN organized the second Arab Civil Society Consultative Workshop on Food Security and Nutrition in Amman between April 23rd -25th, 2015, APN presented the perspective of civil society institutions on the protracted crises in the region. (Find a copy of the Final Declaration of the Arab Civil Society Consultation here.)
- In 2012, APN organized the first Arab Civil Society Consultative Workshop on Food Security and Nutrition with 37 participants from 16 countries, in Beirut. Major recommendations reached by the participants were presented to the FAO Ministerial Regional Conference for the Near East. Furthermore, the first Arab Civil Society Consultative Workshop led to the formation of the Arab Network for Food Sovereignty.
- In 2012, APN organized the civil society participation at The Near East and North Africa Regional Consultative Meeting on Securing Sustainable Small-Scale Fisheries: Bringing Together Responsible Fishing and Social Development. The meeting affirmed the importance of small-scale fisheries in the region to poverty alleviation, food and nutrition security and socio-economic development. Participants concluded that the Small-Scale Fisheries Guidelines will be an important tool for securing sustainable governance and development for such fisheries.