The United Nations Environment Programme, established in 1972, coordinates the United Nation's environmental activities and assists developing countries in implementing environmentally sound policies and practices. It is the leading authority setting the global environmental agenda and promoting the implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system.
In 2016, APN received accreditation with observer status to UNEP. Accreditation has allowed APN to participate in the Annual Regional Consultation Meetings and contribute to Regional Civil Society Statements. These statements form the basis for the Global Civil Society Statement, comprised of recommendations to UNEP, governments, and other stakeholders.
Recently, APN attended the 2019 Annual Regional Consultative Meeting for West Asia with major groups and stakeholders, held in Amman to prepare the upcoming Environment Assembly and ensured the incorporation of regional CSO priorities.
- APN presented an intervention on the topic “Youth activism in building peace and the environment” in a panel discussion at the invitation of the Children and Youth Major Group and the Global Major Groups and Stakeholders Forum of the United Nations Program environment (UNEP) on June 8th, 2021. (More)
- APN presents recommendations at preparatory meeting for UN Food Systems Summit (UN-FSS) by taking part in a meeting of major groups and stakeholders accredited by UNEP. (More)
- From February 9th-11th , 2021, APN made effective interventions during its participation in the UNEP Global Major Groups and Stakeholders Forum (GMGSF) over three long days. The forum sought to collect conclusions and demands into a single statement presented to the United Nations Environmental Association (UNEA) of the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP). (More)
- In August 2020, APN participated in a meeting of major groups and stakeholder at the United Nations Environment Program in West Asia (UNEP) and discussed the dangers to the oil tanker Safer located on the coast of Yemen, especially after the disaster that struck the port of Beirut in August 2020, and considering the strife that Yemen is experiencing. (More)
- APN participated in the challenge that was launched by the United National Environment Program (UNEP) Regional Office for West Asia on World Environment Day June 5th, 2020. (More)