The Arab Group for the Protection of Nature
shmeisani' Prince shaker Bin Zaid st.
Al saada Building, 5th floor
T. +962 6 567 3331
F. +962 6 569 9777
APN seeks to strengthen the capacity of the Arab peoples to sustain the region's natural resources and gain sovereignty over them , particularly in areas suffering from war and occupation.
The CFS is the foremost inclusive international and intergovernmental platform for all stakeholders to work together to ensure food security and nutrition for all.
CSM is the largest mechanism of civil society organizations (CSOs) seeking to influence agriculture, food security and nutrition policies and actions, nationally, regionally and globally. CSM was founded in 2010 after a reform of the CFS, and functions as a facilitating body for CSO/NGO consultation and participation in the CFS.
Since 2010, APN has held the seat for West Asia in the Coordination Committee of the CSM and is now represented by General Manager Mariam Al Jaajaa. Al Jaajaa has been selected as a member of the CSM Advisory Group which meets regularly with member states for the years 2017-2019. APN is also the coordinator for the Global Working Group on Protracted Crises.
• APN gave the Global Civil Society speech at the opening of the 44th Session of the CFS and was one of the main speakers at a side event on “Women’s Roles and Rights in Situations of Food Crises, Famines and Conflict”
• APN is advocating for the monitoring and implementation of CFS policy at theregional and international level. General Manager Mariam Al Jaajaa was invited to a monitoring event in Rome to discuss specific proposals for improving the use and application of CFS policy outcomes
• APN pushed for a permanent seat in the CSM for communities living in conflict or under occupation. The decision was endorsed in May 2017
• In 2016, APN General Manager Mariam Al Jaajaa pushed for a meeting that addressed serious concerns about the lack of regional of regional balance in the Advisory Group of the CSM
• APN coordinated Civil Society Participation in the Reach-out Event in Kenya in 2016 on Food Insecurity in Protracted Crises for the African Region
• APN, as part of the CSM Working Group on Monitoring, was one of the key speakers at the CFS 43 side event discussion on the experiences of using the Voluntary Guidelines on Tenure (VGGT), and the challenges for monitoring other CFS decisions
• In 2015, APN was successful in pushing the CFS to endorse the Framework for Action on Food Security and Nutrition (FFA) after 3 years of negotiations, which included a section on taking steps to enable access and use of natural resources in times of crisis
• APN was nominated to be in the CFS Steering Committee and Technical Task Team that helped draft and guide the report
• At the CFS 42, APN organized a side event, Framework for Action for Food Security and Nutrition in Protracted Crises: the Way Forward, to discuss the future of the document, including how it can be effectively implemented
• APN led the release of the FFA Assessment Report 2015
• The Arab Network for Food Sovereignty released a final statement endorsing the Framework for Action for Food Security and Nutrition in Protracted Crises, and celebrated the progress on recognizing food insecurity in times of war, conflict and occupation
•General Manager Mariam Al Jaajaa prepared and presented a speech to the CFS 42 plenary during the special event Resilience Building for Sustainable Food Security and Nutrition, warning delegates of the dangers of focusing on resilience to crises alone, and urged them to shift their focus away from coping with crises to ending them
•APN, represented by then Advocacy Officer Heather Elaydi participated in the negotiations of the CFS policy recommendations on Water for Food security and Nutrition, and spoke about promoting the recognition of the links between the human right to water and the human right to food, and that states should refrain from using water as an instrument of political or economic pressure.
• In 2015, APN was part of the negotiations on the Global Strategic Framework for Food Security and Nutrition
• In 2014, APN was also involved in the CSM input on the Responsible Agricultural Investment in Agriculture and Food Systems
• In 2012, APN was strongly involved in the negotiations on the Food and Agriculture Organization’s Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Tenure (VGGT) by pushing for a section on the rights to tenure of land of affected and at risk populations during and after conflict, including in situations of occupation
• In 2010, at the CFS Policy Roundtable addressing food insecurity in protracted crises, APN co-founder Razan Zuayter intervened in response to the committee’s audacious exclusion of Palestine in their list of 22 countries in conflict. As a result, the Palestinian Territories were later added to the list. (More on this in Arabic)